I agree with the last paragraph of this article. I think there is something to be said about how just a small amount of time learning how to read complex text can really aid a student in their reading and comprehending. The one thing I appreciate about this last paragraph is that it is stressing the importance of keeping those strategies alive even amidst all the latest technological advances. This makes me wonder how we can keep these children interested in the topics at hand by teaching them exactly how to read complex text.
One thing that comes to mind is that it is crucial to model this thinking for them. We cannot expect them to know exactly how to think metacognitively. We must show them; whether through think-alouds or by breaking down each piece of a reading passage bit by bit until they realize the process. This takes much practice. I think I also would like to know what it means for us to “make slow reading exercises a standard part of the curriculum.” Doe this mean that we want to boggle the students down with loads of homework or is their thinking more effective when it’s modeled first and then practiced through sharing, pairing, and finally, on their own. I believe too often we throw these assignments at students and forget to explain to them that it is going to take lots of time.
While I do think that this can be done effectively, I think that we as teachers need to remember to model this kind of thinking and remind them that it takes time. I think these two things are critical to teaching these students not only how to think while reading, but how to value it and the process as well.
I absolutely agree with you! I think time spent in class reading quality complex texts with a teacher guiding the thinking and probing students to dig deeper is what will help our students gain the skills they need to comprehend this type of reading. If the teacher scaffolds the reading and provides tiered support systems and "practice" and "time" as you had mentioned, they will be able to do this. I do not see technology hindering this if utilized properly. While I agree that the fast paced nature of the internet has changed they way students research and even read, it does not mean that it has replaced complex texts in schools. I believe that technology can be embedded in lessons and can enhance the students understanding of complex texts when teacher support is in place.
ReplyDeleteI absolutely agree with you! I think time spent in class reading quality complex texts with a teacher guiding the thinking and probing students to dig deeper is what will help our students gain the skills they need to comprehend this type of reading. If the teacher scaffolds the reading and provides tiered support systems and "practice" and "time" as you had mentioned, they will be able to do this. I do not see technology hindering this if utilized properly. While I agree that the fast paced nature of the internet has changed they way students research and even read, it does not mean that it has replaced complex texts in schools. I believe that technology can be embedded in lessons and can enhance the students understanding of complex texts when teacher support is in place.
ReplyDelete